October 3, 2004

Moving To England – What Do I Bring?

(Note: for anyone reading this who wants to know more about the how’s of moving to the UK, you can find almost everything you need at the Britain/USA website at http://www.britainusa.com.)

I’ve been cleaning out my In Box today – some in the bottom were well over a year old – and found an email from Jason Cook. I worked with Jason at Wired, and we keep in touch on and off – through his year in Rome, and our year here in England.

His email thanked me for some advice about things they might want think about before they moved. I scrounged through my Out Box and found my note to him. As I’ve had several people ask the same types of things, I thought it might be worth posting.

Frank,

Well, I’m officially moving to England. Azure and I are probably going to arrive 28 August – I start at Cambridge in mid-September.

While we’re not moving house on the same scale as you and Rachel (mostly because we own no house) I thought I’d at least ask you if you had any small tips worth sharing. Anything in the realm of initial setup (opening bank accounts, health care) that you’d wish you’d known about, going over?

The one question I can think of offhand is: what cell phone provider should I use? That’s one of the first things I expect I’ll need to do, and I don’t want to get stuck with the wrong provider/plan (it’s hard enough to figure out who’s best in the States…).

Hope we get a chance to have a pint in the next year…

Best,
Jason

Jason,

Very exciting that you’re moving to England…I think you’ll like it a lot.

You’re welcome of course that stay with us when you arrive if that would help. We’re about 40 minutes by train into London, easily got to from Heathrow and Gatwick, and have lots of spare room (but not as many beds as bedrooms, so one of you would be in a sleeping bag on the floor). Come stay as long as you like…

Will you be buying a car? That was the first thing we did, and after looking around in the papers/auto trader, we went with a dealer. We can help you with that if you want.

Bank account-wise, you don’t really need one, unless you want to move a bunch of money into pounds. Rachel had an HSBC account that I got added to, but everything can be done with ATMs and VISA/MC and electronic bill pay. I have a Wells Fargo bill pay account, and I do everything that way. What it doesn’t do is let me write checks in pounds, so yes, I guess you’ll need a bank account. You might check out Citibank in the US before you come. I’ve seen Citi branches here, and it might be possible to have dollar and pound accounts that you can move freely between. We wanted to move a bunch of stuff to euros and wound up opening a swiss bank account, but it’s not as convenient as I’d hoped it would be.

Phone-wise, there’s T-Mobile that works in the US, UK and old-Europe, or Vodaphone seems to be good pan-Europe provider. I’m using O2/BTCellnet and wouldn’t recommend it particularly. What I would recommend is using the pay-as-you-go plans – we’ve saved a lot of money by only topping up when we need airtime as opposed to paying for lots of time that we never use. I bought an unlocked phone in the US before coming here – I’d recommend looking on Google for the phone you want and buying an unlocked version before you come. But don’t worry too much about getting the wrong provider – there’s a CellPhoneWarehouse on every street corner, and buying a pay as you go chip is as little as 29 – if you don’t like it, go get another one.

That’s all I can think of now…if you have any other questions fire away.

We’re on the Cape now, and will be back in the UK on the 14th.

Hi to Azure…

– Frank

One thing I forgot to tell him was about health care. In the UK they have the NHS – National Health Service. To see a doctor, all you do is show up at the local doctor’s office, and fill out a short one-page form. That’s it. Really. I know all you folks in the US think I’m kidding, but I’m not.

For small things like colds and shots and prescriptions it’s amazing. Fast and free. Just this week Sebastian had a terrible cough – we called at 10:05, they said come in at 10:30, and we were out by 10:45. And the prescriptions are reasonably priced as well – free for children, and just 6 for adults.

For emergencies it’s pretty good too. I broke a rib a month ago mountain biking, and on the third night was in so much pain that at 4:00AM, after not being able to get back into bed, Rachel bundled me off to the emergency room. I was the only person there, and was in and out in about 45 minutes – 3 x-rays and some free pain relievers later I was a much happier person.

Where it appears to fall down a bit is with non-emergency procedures. There can be a 2-6 month (or more) wait for certain procedures, even for life-threatening things like cancer treatments. If you think you might need such surgery, then some form of private insurance might be useful. I’ve recently seen a policy advertised that will pay for private care if the NHS won’t schedule something within 6 weeks – sounds interesting.

Posted by: Frank @ 1:08 pm — Filed under:

92 Comments »

1. Frank,
    I’m so glad I found your site. My husband and I have been talking about moving to England over the last 6 months, when it became clear that 50% of the people in the USA see things fundamentally different than we do. It isn’t just a matter of politics, but it pervades everything; the SUV’s, consumerism, and imperialism. We put our heart and soul into the election, fighting for a chance to stay. Obviously, it hasn’t worked out that way.
    I gather from your page that you, like my husband, work with software. I did some checking and found that if you have quite a few years of experience as a software engineer/programmer, you can easily emigrate. Is this correct? We’re also wondering if there are areas that are better to find jobs in the tech sector (for him). He is particularly fond of C++, and although he is an expert at it, we have had a hard time finding many jobs utilizing it in Minneapolis.
    I’m hoping to delve into some of your pages further - so won’t burden you with too many questions now. The only other one I’m concerned about is medical care. I have nerve damage and need to get pain medicine regularly, in addition to the underlying problem that caused it. Anyway, I need to see some fairly top notch doctors…
    Thanks again for your page…it’s a public service!

Regards,
    Natalia & Mark

Comment by Natalia — November 6, 2004 @ 9:03 pm

2. Hello there!
    I can’t believe I stumbled upon this page through a google search!
    I’m an American and I can’t afford to go back to college next year. I’ll be finishing out this semester and through the spring, but then, my boyfriend and I were planning a move to England late in 2005.
    The problem is, we know nothing about how the money thing works over there. Where we live, in Seattle, the minimum wage ($7.50) job I have and the job he has could pay for us to live in a studio apartment (which you can find for as low as $500 or so). But, when we get over there, it will all be different.
    Can you give advice on the cheapest cities to live in England and what minimum wage would be in comparison with cost of living? We’d only require a studio flat, really. And no real career-like skills or degrees. Most likely, the food-service industry.
    Any information/advice would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!

~Desiree

Comment by Desiree — November 7, 2004 @ 9:15 pm

3. Hello to you all,

Does anyone has a suggestion on moving companies, we will be leaving San Francisco for the United Kingdom in the next three months. Also, if anyone has an idea of rental costs for house in Brighton, that would be great!

Thanks,
    Gareth

Comment by Gareth Pitt — November 16, 2004 @ 6:46 pm

4. hi there! i’m a student from california moving to england for a year or so. i was wondering what kind of thing are essential that i should bring from the US and what things i can buy over there. i’m not bringing any furniture, however, things like toiletries and whatnot…. are they super expensive over there?? thanks a bunch. any info would help!

Comment by Courtney — December 5, 2004 @ 9:41 am

5. Very Very useful!!
    Can anyone advice me on finding something to hire or let ??

Comment by Marianela — February 17, 2005 @ 10:42 pm

6. Hello everyone,
    For years now my husband and I have been seriously talking about moving from the US to England. The crime rate, politics, job market and many other things are our motivating factors. We have a four year old daughter who we want to grow up in a safe, cultured environment. Can anyone give me some ideas on where to look (either internet or books) for information about immigrating from the US to England. Many heartfelt thanks to anyone and everyone who answers.

Blessings,
    Angela

Comment by Angela — February 24, 2005 @ 6:32 pm

7. I am moving to Newcastle in mid August to attend graduate school. Thanks for anyone posting to websites like this. They really are helpful. I found a house share very near my university very quickly online last week, but because I was at the school and was able to speak to some current students, I knew to start looking now for August/September. I do not recommend waiting too long. I did a google search for flats and rooms in the area I wanted to live in, Jesmond and starting sending out emails…Borderline SPAM emails! Everyone was nice and sent photos and addresses. I was lucky that I am slightly familiar with the city and knew what area to specifically look in…Here is another link which has provided me with some very useful info. http://www.avatar-moving.com/kb/doc_uk.html
    good luck to all with moving…

Comment by Allison — May 1, 2005 @ 11:58 pm

8. Thanks for this wonderful informative format. I’m a 43 year old woman, divorced with three grown kids. With all my newly acquired freedom I’ve decided to live in, not merely visit England. After packing and moving my entire household into two large storage units, I’m just waiting to have an estate auction, collect some money and begin life anew. After being born and raised in the materialist society of the U.S., and buying into the; “work hard, make money, shop and buy things, until you have so many things you need to buy a bigger house to put those things into” lifestyle, selling all my treasures is frightening, yet freeing. Is the healthcare you’ve talked about freely available to non-citzens, and non-students, what about dental care? Also wondering about bringing my little dog, are dogs still quarantined as I’ve heard rumored? Finally, as I’m self-employed do I still need to apply for a work permit, and on a visitors visa how long will I be allowed to stay? Hope you have the time and inclination to answer these questions, and should you….I would so greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance. Sincerely, Paige

Comment by paige masters — May 12, 2005 @ 1:03 am

9. Hi I used to live in Lakenheah AFB, England in 1976-1979 quite a while ago. I really enjoyed it. At the time they quarentined dogs for 6 months. Is it still like that if you bring a dog? How much is rent for a 2 or 3 bedroom going for these days. Thinking on a move to England with a 4 year old girl and a 6 year old boy. Any advice out there?

Comment by Karen Hester — May 30, 2005 @ 7:02 pm

10. I am an art student in South Florida and I have a burning desire to relocate to England after i graduate to start my career. A lot of people tell me its nonsense or just laugh at me. Is it really that crazy of an idea? Of course $$$ is an issue since it is more expensive to live over there than here, or am i wrong? And I’ve been told that i can’t permanently live there unless i’m attending a college or already have a job there waiting for me…? Somebody tell me the deal.

Comment by Danlyn — July 15, 2005 @ 11:11 pm

11. hi my fieance and i want to move to england with oure two kids we just dony know how to go about it. and how much it will cost.my fiance is a 7 year c.n.a cetified nurses asistant and im a painter we need a change of life and going back to the land where oure ancestorie started seems like the right thing for us and the children. so pleas if aney one can give us a hint or two it would be much abliged thank you devin wendy jacob lana

Comment by devin lefrancois — August 17, 2005 @ 7:01 pm

12. Hello there…
    My angle is slightly different: we are from England, and after 6 years in Chicago, it is time to go back… We were supposed to “do” America only for a couple of years, but Chicago won us over… At first, we were weary of not getting too much stuff, since our coming back to the UK was a sure thing…

Obviously, beds, sofas, tables, millions of books, CD’s, shoes and a cat later, the plan failed and we’ll need to get some stuff shipped… I went online to get a shipping quote, but can’t work it out . They demand cubic approximations that I can’t fathom, when what I want is some kind of flat rate saying: here’s a pre-paid crate, stuff it, and we’ll deliver to you…
    So, I was wondering if somebody out there had a great EASY experience with a shipping company, not too expensive and reliable…

(The cat is going through his pet passport scheme… If anyone has been through that, I’d also like to ask questions about the reality of it in Heathrow… Like how long does it take, if they have AVID standard microchip readers or if I have to buy my own… How their pets endured the journey: to sedate or not to sedate…). Any imput would be more than welcome.

Thanks. Anna.

Comment by Anna Taylor — September 25, 2005 @ 5:16 pm

13. Hospitals are full of superbugs. Brits don’t like or respect Americans. Incomes tax is high (and you have to pay it and file a US return too), sales tax is 17.5%(VAT), capital gains tax is high, less loop holes/offsets, mortgages are not deductible, “stealth taxes", clamidia, you have to pay to park pretty much everywhere, speed cameras (90 pound fine = $160 + points + insurance impact), chavs, ASBOs, authoritarian state rule, congested roads, gas is $5+ a gallon, lots of rules & laws, monarchy (better than the elected government!), small house, prissy attitudes, over populated, under payed, over taxed…and if you think Seattle is wet, think again. Its gray, its wet, its Blighty – bring rain wear.

Comment by Tony Blair — October 1, 2005 @ 4:35 pm

14. Hi im 17 years old and I plan to move to England after Im finished college (ill be about 19 or 20 by this time) so do you have any advice for me? I live in canada will it be easier for me to live in England then say someone from the US? whats the first thing you need to do to prepare for a move this big? (besides of course saving up TONS of money) I need as much help as I cant get because once I get to England im on my own so I need alot of information so if you could help me as much as you can that would be great!. Oh and where are the cheapest places to live in England?

Comment by Alyssa — November 8, 2005 @ 8:33 pm

15. Hi I m english lived here all my life 42year, yes england can be expensive petrol sorry gas is sky high taxes are high but there is more to the uk the bloody london. london is a shithole a place to rip of all who venture there, I live in the north of england in south yorkshire we are 100 times more friendly than those in the south, much cheaper to live better house prices good motorway train and airport links to the entire country and unlike that dickhead comment further up the page we do like americans we have always been there for one another and always will be.and our cousins from across the pond will always be welcome

Comment by kev — April 12, 2006 @ 11:13 am

16. bravo to kev, my wife and i are considering moving to england we want our children to be raised in a safe cultered enviroment and away from all the garbage here in the states ive always had a deep fondess for england though ive never been

Comment by bryan — April 19, 2006 @ 3:45 pm

17. I was thinking of moving to England myself. Any tips of what I need to do and how I should go about doing them?

Comment by Stacy — April 29, 2006 @ 8:46 am

18. I need some information as what I need to do to move from U.S to England. Any information would be very helpful..

Comment by Nora — May 2, 2006 @ 7:54 pm

19. well im 20 and am moving to england becoming a full citizen and i was wondering how do i know what i need to go to uni their with the grade system over here, plus how much money do i need and where is the cheapest places to live. im extermely scared because i will be alone and everything is new. I m not sure i will survive there can you give me some info and tips for my journy their!

Comment by Tina — May 8, 2006 @ 12:24 am

20. I’m a Brit - have lived in Canada for 36 years - have retired-want to come home to England but am overwhelmed by the costs - anythjing over there to fit a retirement budget?

Comment by JeaneGreene — May 24, 2006 @ 2:32 pm

21. Hey, everyone!
    I am a HighSchool student living in Canada and have wanted to move to England since I can remember. I, however, very scared of getting a Visa..What if I can’t? What about money? If ANYONE has ANYTHING to say please please contact me! I need help and suggestions! Ta!

Comment by Kelly — June 30, 2006 @ 11:41 pm

22. Hi, will keep this short….planning on a move to England to be with bf….initially going on my passport for 6 mos….just searching for practical advice regarding insurance, how to sort out my taxes here, amount of $$ Im allowed to bring into UK, etc……any sites with this info? Thanks in advance….

Comment by J — August 27, 2006 @ 4:54 pm

23. hi i am 18 years old planning to move to london to start my life. I just finished high school and no experience living in the outside world. I am planning on working there and hopefully set my self a good average life. I need advice on what to expect and how much is it for a flat and so forth. My dad is going to help me support myself for the first 3 months but after that am on my own. This is a turning point in my life and it would be great to give me advice on everything. thanks

Tyler

Comment by Tyler — August 31, 2006 @ 6:16 am

24. In the next 5 years I plan on moving to England, so I preparing now and saving alot of dollars which is not so much Pounds but hope fully it is a start. I wonder if England is a good idea? or should move to Germany? I am tired of the USA life style too many up tight people and closed minded people , I wonder if England is different?

Comment by Ricardo — September 1, 2006 @ 11:12 pm

25. Hi. I’m a junior in high school in the US right now and I have also ALWAYS wanted to move to England. I know I would definitely go to college in the US and then move to England when I graduate. I am nervous about not being able to get a good job, getting a visa, finding a place to live, and getting a car and legal drivers license over there. All I know is that I want to move to England (preferably London) but I dont know how to go about it. Any suggestions?

Comment by Elizabeth — September 4, 2006 @ 8:39 pm

26. well hello, im natalia and im 16 years. Im planning to move to england in 2008-2009, so i want to be ready. I have so questions about if england is expencive (sorry english is my second language) and where is the cheapest place to live. Im moving there alone so i really want to know.
    thanks.

Comment by natalia eckhardt — September 7, 2006 @ 4:35 am

27. I’m the same as ^^^. I’m deathly scared of getting a visa, and I should be moving the England once I’m finished highschool. Funds are not a problem as I’ll be saving up for the next two and a half years to go and I have a thousand dollars already saved up to go. I’m a worry wort, and I want to make sure I have every necessary paper for when I do go, and I’d like to know what exactly I’ll need. If anyone has any information for me, it’d be greatly appreciated!!

e-mail me at vi.x.en@hotmail.com, please!

Comment by Vikki — November 12, 2006 @ 7:32 pm

28. Hey,
    I am 16 and my family and i are looking at moving from australia to england in a year or so. I am unsure if i want to go because i will be in year 12 and it is the last year of highschool. I love england and was just wondering your thoughts. How do the british react to aussies? I love acting what is the scene like there?

Thankyou very much

Comment by Bree — December 29, 2006 @ 2:25 pm

29. Hey. Im thinking of moving form australia to england, dont know when yet?
    I have my mum over ther but im wanting to bring my partner over too. What do we do in the means of getting work, im a childcare in the making and he is a food industry cleaner (abs). any help would be great. thanks.

Comment by Sarah — January 23, 2007 @ 12:15 pm

30. Im sorry I can’t help at all with how to fill out paperwork or anything, but people should be aware that england is not exactly cheap to live in. I saw a post of minimum wage being $7.50 and gettin a studio for $500 a month. Well, minimum wage here is 5.35ish ver the age of 22, which isn’t a lot different i guess, but in most places you would be hard pushed to find a studio apartment for 500 a month, and that’s just basic accomoddation. trying to live somewhere in england sucks, and I already live here with family……….

Comment by Als — March 1, 2007 @ 1:57 am

31. hey,
    i am a high school student in america and want to go to college after my graduation in ENGLAND. could u tell me how it wokrs, what test are requiered etc. that i can transfer there!
    please write back
    it is extremly important for me!!
    sarah

Comment by sarah — March 8, 2007 @ 3:40 am

32. I am from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, the most northern city in England and nearer to Edinburgh, Scotland than London, England. Newcastle is ace and home to Newcastle United Football Club, who play at the 52,000 capacity St James Park. Football (the real kind, not that NFL nonsense) is now the religion of Britain. NUFC are called the Magpies, as they play in black and white. If you ever go to England you should never miss the chance to down a few bottles of Brown Ale and watch the Mags!

I now live in Liverpool, which is also in the north. To anyone considering moving to London I would have a serious rethink. The cost of living in London is very high and property (rental or to buy) is unbelievable. Unless you are an investment banker you will be lucky to rent a cuboard and pay your bills! Also London suffers from high crime, pollution, poor infastructure, transport and rude Londoners!

I would consider cities with lower costs of living in the north such as Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield and Liverpool. These cities are vibrant, up and coming, and within easy reach of each other. England is very small compared to USA/Canada and if you want to visit London (it’s worth a visit!) then you will never be further than 6-8 hours away maximum. For example I am in Liverpool, (home of the Beatles etc) a great city and just an hour from Manchester, the largest northern city. I am also just a few hours from Leeds and Sheffield, both in Yorkshire, two of the north’s other biggest cities.

Basically what I want you to think is that cost of living is so much cheaper away from London and southern England, plus people are much friendlier and you can afford travel to other cities and places like the Lake District, historical cities like Chester and York and visit Scotland and Ireland if you live in the north. In London all your money will be taxed to pay for the 2012 Olympics!

However, even property in the north is pricey, me and my girl pay $670 (by my calculations) a month rent for the two of us on a rough estate in Liverpool and that is v. cheap in this country! Compared to American property fees I guess that seems pricey though. In London you would have to double that, at least.

Myself, I will graduate in 2008 and I am considering moving to Canada or north-east USA like New Jersey, New England, New York. My girlfriend is a trainee nurse and is having to look at work abroad as the NHS is falling apart and there are no medical jobs here due to cuts by the government. If anyone lives in the likes of Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver anywhere nearby I would appreciate any info as one of those three cities could be our most destination in late 2008.

Thanks and good luck

Pete G

Comment by Pete G — March 23, 2007 @ 10:29 pm

33. to all you americans wanting to move to the uk i say welcome.most americans i have met were decent people.if you come here you will meet idiots,they are the same the world over..come,enjoy,make a life and be yourselves.most english people rather like americans

Comment by j nixon — March 25, 2007 @ 12:25 am

34. I am an American who have lived in Sydney for the past two years and looking forward to a move to the UK. I stayed in England for about two months and fit right in (as I’m not a typical American thinker…no offense) My husband and I are looking to move within the next 12 months. He is a software engineer and I am a Youth Minister among other trades. I would love to hear from anyone with advice on the best location for us to live. I have only been to London and my husband has never been to the Uk although he is actually English with a passport. We are use to most things people here are worrying about like, high rent, high taxes ect. We are not at all concerned about the money issues but only about the living environment. We want to live in a town that is very friendly where we can settle down and make friends easily as well as call a place home. We also want to live in a place that has low crime and lovely greenery. We dont mind paying more for better living environment as long as its actually worth i. :)
    We are thinking of someone where up north like Manchester but only because we have lovely friends from there. Help anyone..emails are welcomed anytime.
    Thanks everyone…

Comment by jess — March 31, 2007 @ 12:21 pm

35. Hi Im a married Mom who is looking into avenues about moving to England. Im A Nursing Assistant and Do not Have a problem finding anywhere to work in USA. I was just wondering if there was a high demand for nursing assistant over there? And if so How would I go about applying for one?

Comment by Tammy Salchenberg — April 10, 2007 @ 3:14 am

36. Hi,
    I am Rayisha Martinez. I am currently a senior in college and will be graduating in May. My boyfriend and I have been talking about moving to England in the future. I am a US citizen and he is a Jamaican citizen. I am thinking that this will be difficult. Should we save a certain amount of money to get settled? Is employment plentiful? Will a 4-year degree from a California State University be of great assistance? Also is the healthcare for UK citizens only. Lastly, which cities are recommended? Thank you in advance.

Comment by Miss Ray — April 17, 2007 @ 4:56 am

37. part 1

Hello! I am English and would love to help anyone who has any questions about my country. First of all, if anyone has any specific questions, you can e mail me at cheekychappy333@hotmail.com and I will try and get back to you, please put the subject as ‘England Question’.

I am trying to move to America so if any of you Americans have any advice on that, it would be great to.

But from looking at all your questions, I will try and answer as many of the questions as possible.
    For accomodation it is best to move away from the south east (in and around London) as well as the home counties (Surrey, Hampshire, Essex etc) as they are extremely expensive. However, the reason for this is the jobs that you can get there are often better paid, so thats your choice. I live in the South West (Devon) which is great, very ‘typically English’ which lots of cute small villages, clean streets, friendly people and above all its safe. A great place to grow up. For anyone wanting to retire or own a second home, this place is perfect for that. The rest of the country is also great, depending on what your tastes are, I personally dont like anything ‘up north’. To give Americans an idea of what southeners say, its basically the opposite to the USA, in that the North is backwards and the South is wealthier and some might even say more civilised. However many parts of the north are beautiful, many cities are up and coming such as Sheffield, Newcastle and Leeds and of course there is York which is gorgeous. The people are generally more open and friendly in the north, but beware, as a general rule, the South is much warmer and sunnier!

As for the currency, its about 1 = 2.01 at the moment so not good for Americans, as a general rule the cost of living is higher and so is your pay so it balances out a bit.

To finish of, as i could be writing all night otherwise, I will highlight the things that i missed when living in Pennsylvania for 2 years, and also say about the things i did not, that should give you an idea on what to expect.

continued…..

Comment by William Stringer — April 25, 2007 @ 10:48 pm

38. Things i missed:
    Public transport in England is overall excellent, there are bus services from most areas as well as fast and efficient train services connecting you to pretty much everywhere! (including the Euro Star train to Paris, Brussels ect). It is worth saying that peoples perceptions of public transport in the UK is generally negative but compared to the USA its amazing (as Americans tend to favour the car). On the flip side of the coin the road network, whilst being good is not as good as North America, rather congested and owning a car can be expensive.

Walking places. People tend to ‘walk to the local corner shop’ as opposed to getting in the car and driving to Wal-Mart for everything, the streets everywhere in England are a great deal more pedestrian friendly.

Comment by William Stringer — April 25, 2007 @ 10:52 pm

39. Hi, found you through Google. Moving with husband and 5 children, from the states to south England. Any specific advice? We’ll have a relocation company. How do we go about finding the best housing for us? We home school and so really do need space to spread out a bit at home, since when we are at home, everyone is there.

Thanks

Comment by AA — May 1, 2007 @ 12:40 pm

40. I am British - and proud of it, born in London, raised in Dorset (countryside). However, the cost of living is unbelievable, my brother is 29 and still living at home - he cannot afford to buy a flat let alone a house and he has a fairly good wage as a sales manager. The gas price is painful, tax is 17.5% and I couldn’t leave quick enough! Someone mentioned USA being materialistic, don’t be fooled, the British would be given half the chance! It’s just the majority of the population can’t afford these things, they are too expensive. Why is it that the British have to pay 3, 4, 5 times as much for the same items as the Americans do? On a brighter note, the NHS is pretty good,you wont lose your house if you become ill! However, my 3 year old son needed to see a speech therapist and we were put on an 18 month waiting list! I could go on, the grass is always greener! By the way, I have lived in the USA for nearly 5 years and my family in the UK would give their right arm to live here..

Comment by Lisa — May 4, 2007 @ 3:42 am

41. I have lived here all my life, and unfortunately I’ve grown to hate it. Most of this hate is based on my experience of residing here and not, as some assume, comparing the place with US, where I have also lived.

Britain is a nation of poverty, derived from both high taxes and lack of opportunity. Then there are the resulting social issues: crime; overcrowding; abysmal worker rights; astronomical cost of housing ($400,000 to live in a slum). The traffic. The chaotic immigration system.

England is a very overcrowded country. It’s not what you see on films depicting quaint scenes..that’s the preserve of the 5% of the people who own 95% of the wealth. There is a almost incessant downbeat attitude amongst the people, the likes of which will hit you like a bus the moment you get here..forever moaning, forever comparing, back-stabbing. I used to love this country but things have gone very wrong. I am so sick of seeing people lack the most basic manners..the basic presence of mind to have a sense of self-worth. I am so sick of seeing ‘yobs’ whose soul purpose in life is to hang around and abuse all and sundry. I am so sick and tired at the sheer scale of the traffic problems, the dirty streets, the confined, insignificance of living amongst the never-ending urban sprawl.

It has been a contrast to living in Europe and the States where despite the extremes, people just seem to have more self-worth. There is better access to amenities, the people seem to cloth and present themselves better even in relatively poor estates, and effort is rewarded. In Europe I was not afraid to roam the streets even at night. In the US I got better service and again, my efforts were rewarded.

I think England should stand out as an example of what happens when a democracy gets hiacked..when prosperity becomes raped and pillaged, when people are forced to merely exist - not to live and seek out enjoyment in life. In fact, living here is like living in a prison. America and Europe will suffer the same fate if they do not look after their own interests and in particular America will be worse than this country if it does not address the imperative cancer that is illegal immigration from it’s Southern neighbour.

England now offers me nothing. You simply do not know how bad things are here until you actually live here, at which point you will have every ounce of creative effort thrown back at you, as though it were a crime, until you exist merely to pay tax and put up with some of the worst people on the face of this earth.

Worth it? Only if you can afford to live away from it, and with this country’s population density that is not very likely. Prepare to work 4 x harder than Americans, and be paid 4x less.

Comment by William — June 26, 2007 @ 9:34 pm

42. you can keep talking i am listening… was considering a move but maybe a visit would be more appropriate… I think everyone in life is looking for somthing.. i was raised by british parents in southern california and exposed very heavily to the culture as my dad played cricket untill i was fourteen.. i currently live in north florida with my seventeen year old daughter. i really dont fit in here too southern too religious, to be honest with my daughter getting older i think that i would like to try a realationship again, and ofcourse i would like the man to be like my father this time, i know that sounds stange but we all flock to a common ground and i have had my share of incompatabily which is why i am alone now. i think that i could manage a 2 or 3 month stay, i really would like to see england and i have family there some i have met some i have not. now it’s really not that bad is it?? what about York?? are not the rents there cheap due to the fact that it is a collage town?? and you can get by without a car right??

Comment by angie — July 2, 2007 @ 12:12 am

43. Wow can’t believe i found this site!!Im from South Africa and moving to England end of this month(4 weeks) Anyone got any advice for me?

Comment by Cat — July 4, 2007 @ 8:26 am

44. Hi Everyone
    I live in Manchester and although like everywhere in Britain it is not cheap i would definately recommend it as a place to live. Manchester is a thriving vibrant city full of ideas and creativity. The people are friendly and welcoming with each other and visitors and Manchester is surrounded by beautiful countryside and lovely villages. Like the gentleman up the page said, yes our weather is a bit wetter than down South but we are usually not troubled with hose pipe bans in the summer and actually seem to suffer less extreme weather than down south. Also please take no notice of the comment about the North being backwards and less civilised. Absolute nonsense. The north has produced fine academic minds, world famous bands and fantastic inventions. Just the place for open minded and imaginative people to live. We honestly dont still wear clogs and eat black puddings every day William! The average cost of a house roughly 5 miles outside of Manchester is about $300 000 and that will buy you a 3 bedroomed terrace in an ok area. To rent your looking at $800 for a 2 bedroomed flat.Its obviously cheaper in the more run down area’s. This is half what you’d pay in London. You dont need a car really as the public transport is ok. Not really sure about the jobs market. I work in Health and every one i work with has managed to move between jobs pretty easily but not sure about other professions. Hope this has been of some use to you.

Comment by Niamh — July 15, 2007 @ 9:55 pm

45. I’ve been seriously considering moving to england after college. I’m currently residing in Pennsylvania, in the U.S. Is it hard for a secondary education teacher that is certified in america to move to england and obtain a job? Would I need more schooling?

Comment by Amanda — July 16, 2007 @ 11:02 pm

46. Hi there! I ran into the website through Google. I’m twenty years old and I’ve just gotten out of the U.S. military as a Cryptologist. I was really considering trying to move to the U.K., perhaps trying to pry myself into a university. I am wondering if there’s any place on-line that could be considered a good place to find an apartment or living space, such as the U.S. has apartments.com.

Comment by Ollie — July 21, 2007 @ 10:45 pm

47. Very good site, Im glad to see so many people who are giving good advice. I am an American who has reached the end of his patience. I am thinking about coming to England and continue my schooling towards med school. Any and all information about how to make a move possible would be a great help.

Comment by Tim — July 23, 2007 @ 9:39 pm

48. Hi there! I am glad I was able to spot this site today. I just returned from England after having spent two more month with the love of my life! Harry is British, 52, retired, disabled but the most beautiful person I have met ever. We love each other and had to make a very difficult decision which tonight he said he regrets… part from each other… he stayed there in the apartment he just signed the lease for one year… and I came back home to Ohio, where I have a one bedroom disabled independent living apartment. We don’t know whether it is best for me to move over there with him… (Chaddesden, near Derby City) or he move here with me and leave things “hanging". He just purchased a new washer-dryer, refrigerator and other essentials needed to set up the apartment… to include the bed. The apartment is beautiful and he just got a new car from mobility which he is entitled to due to his disability. The landlord lady was so nice she offered to help him out with the council tax paperwork and getting some other help that he may qualify for. He has a full pension that is not that much but enough to help hom live decently but great here if he was to live here with me.
    The problem that I have about living there with Harry is that my disability requires me to take many medication to include opiods that I am afraid that I may not continue to get if I change Drs there. I can’t afford to change therapy protocol and risk being able to function since it has taken me years to find a Dr who finally has helped me live and not just survive with this chronic pain of mine.

We love each other so much and are going crazy being apart. Harry would be risking a lot leaving his home to be with me and if I go there… I may risk my health benefits with medicare because I believe my social security for disability check would be sent there for me.

I would like to know if I would be able to continue my medication protocol care if I move permanently to England with Harry and at this point don’t know who to ask… Any of you know? any referrals? Please send my an email if you know or can direct me to the right place. I am going crazy and depressed by not being able to be with the love of my life… HERE I have NO ONE… no one will miss me if I live and I don’t mind where to live as long as I am with Harry. I lived in Europe for 8 years 15 years ago and still love it even though I am no longer an able body person.

Yours in good will,

Eileen

Comment by Eileen — July 24, 2007 @ 11:32 pm

49. Hi, I’m an American fresh out of high school hoping to move to the Greater Manchester/Liverpool area. I’ve been up there once and fell in love with it. I know a few people spread about the area (including my boyfriend), but there are some questions they haven’t been able to answer for me. I’ve been having a great problem applying for a visa (I have no university degree), because I have to have a job first, but I can’t get a job unless I am ‘legally able to live and work in the UK’, so I seem to be at a crossroads…any help?

Comment by Jackie Jo — July 24, 2007 @ 11:49 pm

50. Pete G, move to Vancouver if you can! It’s probably my favorite city in the world, and I go there multiple times every year. I myself live just north-east of Vancouver in the Okanagan valley, which is in the interior of B.C. and is more desert-like than the rainy, but stunning coast of Van.

Anyways I’m moving to Southampton in May with my best friend, he’s just working on a parents farm in Vancouver right now to make some money and is then moving in with family in Southampton in September. I’m joining later. I hear it’s really expensive to live over there, which is unfortunate, but most jobs I’ve been looking at pay in the 8-10 pound range for minimum, which is insane considering our minimum wage is 8$, or just under 4 pounds. The crazy thing is, housing from what I’ve looked up is about the same in Southampton as it is here. A decent 2 bedroom here runs at $1000-$1400 a month Canadian, and in Southampton I saw many places for around 500-700 pounds.

Comment by C Bourne — July 25, 2007 @ 5:30 pm

51. Hi, my name is Ryan. I have been contemplating moving to the UK for quite some time now. There are a few things I would like to know before I make the trip. First off, I don’t know if you would be able to help me, but do you know of any good universities for anthropology or archaeology? Also, I would be a “senior” student there since I am 23 years old. Also, are there any good websites to look up jobs in the UK? I have looked at a few, but only saw a few job postings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

~Ryan

Comment by Ryan W. — August 16, 2007 @ 8:09 am

52. hey, I’m going into my junior year of highschool in California and I am very interested in possibly attending college in England or Australia. So, I was wondering what sort of things I should be doing to prepare myself. What requirements and qualities are they looking for, etc. So, if you could just give me some advice on where o start or whether you even think this is a good idea that would be wonderful. thank you.

Comment by lindsay — August 19, 2007 @ 12:17 am

53. I want to sell my house and car, sell everything and move to the UK. I’d like to stay in Cornwall and I’d need a job. I’m a secretary for a hospital in Maryland but I’d take a job most anywhere if it paid the rent. Are they hard to come by there? I’d need to get something soon after I moved there. I’m planning on doing this next spring.

Thanks for your help.

Nora

Comment by Nora Lanier — August 23, 2007 @ 12:09 am

54. Hello. I’ve been considering making a future move to the UK. I want to start out with a 6 month stay to get a feel of how things are ran. My first question regarding that, is where would be some of the cheapest 1 bedroom apartments, or something small, be located. I understand London is more expensive, and also, what would you consider a good amount of money to have for a 6 month stay? From what I’ve heard, if they feel you can’t afford it, they will deny you. Second, I am a tattoo artist. I hear anything involving an artistic occupation doesn’t require a work permit. If thats the case, could I be employed during my 6 month stay? Any advice on this is Highly appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry for the long questions,

Tim

Comment by Tim — November 5, 2007 @ 4:10 am

55. Hi to all you american people that seek to make a new life over here. I am 47 yrs old and have travelled most of the world with the Royal Navy. Let me tell it is not the country (although some parts are beautiful) but the people that keep bringing me back. They are warm, most honest, and have a terrific sense of humour that you just cannot beat - anywhere. Yes we have our problems - but I know from lots of other people that once this country touches you, you will always come back, I am talking kiwi’s, canadians, many europeans - that have all fallen for it;s charms. Come and Join us - and don’t think that we hat American’s that is BS….we been through to much together…for any of that.

Comment by Richard — March 10, 2008 @ 5:22 pm

56. hello
    so i want to move ot england in couple of years
    and attend one of thier colleges
    I heard that they are free, but is that only for citizens born in england?

Comment by shelby — March 15, 2008 @ 6:22 pm

57. I was thinking of moving for Canada to go to school in England Can I do that?

Comment by Nezz — March 16, 2008 @ 1:01 am

58. I hope you are still getting messages from this website. When doing research for our next California Cornish Cousins gathering I found you and thought you might like to know that there is a group that gets together each year to celebrate the history and heritage of Cornwall and Cornish Americans. I don’t know if you are of Cornish heritage or just stayed there but thought you might enjoy our next meeting in the Sonora area, just a couple of hours away from you. Please let me know if you would like more info. JulieBeth Lamb, president, California Cornish Cousins (and 15 year homeschooling veteran)

Comment by JulieBeth Lamb — April 9, 2008 @ 11:07 pm

59. hi i am 17 years old planning to move to london to start my life at 18. Ive nearly finished high school and no experience living in the outside world. I am planning on working there and hopefully set my self a good average life. I need advice on what to expect and how much is it for a flat and so forth. My dad is going to help me support myself for the first 3 months but after that am on my own. This is a turning point in my life and it would be great to give me advice on everything. thanks

Comment by jasmin — May 8, 2008 @ 10:48 am

60. Hello,
    I’m a 31 yr old Female. I’m a single parent with a five year old son. I’m in the process of moving to UK to work under a two year contact. I have sooo many concerns, questions. It’s hard trying to plan a move to a place you have not been before. i’ve been doing alot of research and asking alot of questions.
    Eventhough, it’s expensive and there is alot of negative reasons on not moving to UK. I’m still willing to give it a try for the experience. I won’t truly know what it’s like until i go experience it for myself. I was just offered the job position and the plan is begin work sometime towards the end of the year 08.
    This has been a long process. To anyone considering moving to UK please don’t think this can happen overnight.

ann

Comment by Ann — July 27, 2008 @ 9:03 pm

61. Hi, I am Dustin. I am a Grade 9 at Thousand Islands High School. I am seriously deciding to move to England, probably Bristol. I am planning to do this because besides the fact I want to go to college in England, but I always wanted a simple lifestyle. Canada is quite like the UK, but it is getting more Americanized than England. I really would like to know kind of an idea of typical rent prices, minimum wages, and how long it takes to become a citizen. Any helpful advice would be gladly taken. I want to attend Filton College in Bristol. I really want to leave Canada, it will be a decision I will not regret. I have family and friends here so I would have no problems getting used to life here.

I am basiclly wanting to start life all over and live a normal life style. And Bristol is not that big compared to where I live in which the whole area is 1.9 million people. A city of 120,000 would be perfect. Does ASDA have stores in Bristol.

Closest Airport?
    Population?

I have no worries of shiping stuff, i will selling all my furniture and bringing very few things with me. I hope I can just fill my big luggage case with stuff besides clothes. I already know what stores are in England, Tesco, ASDA, Selfridges, IKEA, etc when I need to buy things such as groceries, furniture etc.

My main question is to become a permenent resident, and i emigrate from Canada, can I apply for citizenship when I arrive in England or Do I have to have a minimum of 6 months of residency?

Comment by Dustin Smith — August 13, 2008 @ 9:04 pm

62. My mother and i are thinking of moving to england we have be reasearching apartment in Buckinghamshire and i hold an Australian and a british passport and my mother is a british citizenship but hasn’t lived in britian since she was 16 so we have no problem with living and getting a job, but i can’t find any other information like schools,, were to buy furniture and all that other infromation that would be useful to know before we actual consider moving to england and infromation and apartment and othe jobs would be really really useful.

Thankyou Rachel

Comment by Rachel — August 24, 2008 @ 8:35 am

63. well hello, I’m only a simple 8th grader and I rather consider myself more how you say…….. Informed than my peers, who are really absolute idiots. They couldn’t find their own country on an unlabeled map, and think Russia is a continent. I’m seriously afraid of what a piece of shit this country will become when I grow up. I live in the USA by the way. I want to move to Europe after I finish college, I’m planning on being a history teacher and I cannot teach these American imbeciles! I want a place with more culture because I also play violin, in american they call violin homosexual instruments. Those assholes dont know how hard it is to play violin! I also want a new experience and have always wanted to move to Europe. But moving to England is the first step to getting uk citizenship, which will give me right of work and residency in all of the eu! I’m in the process of learning french and german fluently and I can finnaly return to mein volk! It would be a dream come true to live in Germany or France, the countries of my kin. I wish to live in Europe so much I’d abandone my family and my best friend to move to Europe. Could anybody emAil me at ilikadapie@gmail.com about how easy it is to move to France Germany or england from USA. Thankyou.

Comment by Nicholas Brennan — September 13, 2008 @ 8:26 am

64. Hi my name is Kim, I am 47 yrs old and have 2 Bachelors Degrees from Universities- 1) in Business and the other in 2) Nursing-BSN

Is it difficult to get a Nursing job for a highly educated Nurse ? What is the salaries for that type of job. Is the cities in the Southwest really that more expensive than the North ?
    I want to be able to travel easily to FRance…for vacations and holidays. What are the nearest cities. I have an 8 Yr old daughter, are the private christian school outrageously priced ?

Comment by Kim Cary — September 19, 2008 @ 3:13 am

65. Living in England’s great, and mainly because of the football, music and culture, but it has its downsides, just like any other country in the world. With the high cost of living, especially in London, I really don’t see why many people would want to move to England though, unless you’re a huge football fan and feel the pound is hard to resist.

Comment by Toon Army Scribes — September 24, 2008 @ 8:43 am

66. hi,just to let people know when you go to a doctor in britain it costs 50pound an apointment when you are not british,then you take this reciept and give it to you’re health insurance.they should reimbourse you .the last couple of years there are so many people coming they began to check because they all want free treatment and dont pay the tax to cover it.so it got more strickt. i was born in britain but dont live there for 22 years although i still have my passport i had to pay because i dont or haddent payed tax there for a long time

Comment by Tracy — October 14, 2008 @ 12:43 pm

67. hi i come from england and i want to do the opposite to you im thinking about moving to the usa one day so if theres any advise about the usa please tell me any way about england its only a dot compared to the us of a but there are still lots of places theres citys such as manchester,liverpool,newcastle,birmingham and the main city of england london and theres seaside places such as blackpool,newquay and theres alot of countryside where u live depends on what you like doing if you like night life and lots of shopping the citys are good for you if you like to be by the sea (mainly to cold to go in the sea and sunbave lol) go to a seaside town and if you want to sit back and relax live in a little village in the country side there is no need to worry about our animals there is only one venamous animal which is the adder snake but most people will never ever see one i havent they like to keep out the way of people and even if u get bit by one it will be painful but aslong as you go to a hospital you will be fine no other animals will hurt you a wasp or be might give you a sting if you try to trap them our spiders are completley harmless you can pick up any spider in england and you wont get bit so dont worry about that for phones we have o2,t-mobile,orange,vodafone,tesco mobile and virgin mobile i would reccomend vodafone or orange for hospitals there are loads of them in the country mostly nhs but if your ever in an emergancy call 999 thats for police paramedics and firefighters buying a car in the uk you need to have a driving licence and when you get your vehicle it will have to be serviced and it has to be in good condition so it will pass its MOT and it will have to be taxed and insured there are loads of places you can buy a car you can get one from a dealer or private off the internet or from the autotrader mag or a newspaper like (express and star: one of englands news papers) for a bank account you can go to places like nat west, hsbc, abbey national etc and they will sit you buy a desk and they will go through creating a bank account so dont worry about that but if your after a job at the moment you will be coming over at a bad time because were in a credit crunch and there taking people out of jobs at the moment and no ones employing any one but your coming at the right time if you want to buy a house because there all sellin cheap. For schools we have 3 kinds of schools well actually 4 a reception an infants school a primary school and a high school some schools are infants and primary in one our schools arent in grades like in usa ours are in years we have years 1-2 in infants 3-6 in primary and 6-11 in high school if you like sports there are lots of sports such as our main one football which you call soccer and there is rugby which is like your american football there is also cricket ice skating and lots of motorsports on the television there is quite alot of sports but we have lots of rubbish programs like coranation street and eastenders lol england is changing to digital soon so you will have to buy a free view box you can get one of them in and electrical store or you can go for something like sky were you have to pay monthly most people in england are freindly and if you ever need any help they will help you we have lots of supermarkets were you can get your groceries and now in some you can buy dvds and games some of the shops are asda,sainsburys,morrisons,co-op,somerfield,tesco so i hope i have helped you i advice you to come on holiday first and visit a few places and meet some people to see if you like it before moving thank you.

Comment by classicrockhahaha — December 10, 2008 @ 8:10 pm

68. me my husband and my son want to move to England in the next 3 years and are wondering what all the costs of living are in a small town for a family who is looking to live in england for 2-3 years maximum

Comment by kelly — January 17, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

69. How would a person on disability in the U.S. live in England?How would I go about getting paperwork to move there?I’ve never been out of the U.S. and need all the info I can get.

Comment by Cheryl — February 13, 2009 @ 4:45 am

70. My wife and I were considering movng to England in the near future. I was wondering how the job market over there was and if anyone knows about how much would it cost us to move there.

Comment by Eddie — March 26, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

71. I am Canadian who very much wants to move to the UK (Wales is my favourite place) or continental Western Europe. However, I cannot get any citizenship based on ancestral one; am older than the limit for a work and travel program or anything like that; have been working all the time as a freelance Russian-English translator (currently I am completely out of work) and am not considered to be unique and my occupation is not in high demand to allow to apply for some job and get a visa; I have no connections anywhere and have limited financial resources. Does anyone know of any roundabout way to move to the UK / Western Europe for such an unlucky individual? wanderess@inbox.ru

Comment by Alex — April 12, 2009 @ 3:03 pm

72. take a look at the uk-yankee.com website - answers to evry question asked here from american that are already in the uk

Comment by english bloke — April 23, 2009 @ 4:46 pm

73. I have a rare blood disorder and I’m on SS Disability, this is the only income I have. Manchester has a clinic that specializes in the disorder I have & I’m thinking of moving there but I’d like to know if my SS Disability in the US would be taken away from me if I were to move… Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m very ill at this time & not very computer literate… Thanks :)

Comment by Dawn — July 10, 2009 @ 6:01 am

74. It really does suprise me that so many americans want to move over here to the uk. opportunities in the uk are much more limited due to it being a much smaller country however if you want to come over then be my guest. one great place to live (which hasn’t been mentioned yet) is the midlands. most people want to move to london but to be honest its not a very plesant place. very busy and expensive, i live in Nottingham and love it. A fantastic city full of culture and very arty. there are many towns around nottingham that are great to live in too. its a senic place but it still has a modern feel everything you could really want in a place and the weathers not too bad either.Not as cold as up north and misses out on the rain quite a bit. also the public transport is great buses and trams run to and from the city centre and in more rural places trains are cheap and fast. it is also said that the midlands is the part of the uk with the most english accent. not too pronounced like in the south and not as strong as in the north. Go on come to nottingham… XD

Comment by pepper — July 21, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

75. Studying @ U of Leeds for 1 year. Thanks for the healthcare info. But, does anyone know what you do for health insurance if you are visiting home (the US) during that year? Do you have to keep a US policy?

Hi Kim: check out http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po

Comment by Kim Parrish — August 15, 2009 @ 5:53 am

76. I have a man I’ve been talking to for some time now and he wants me to come over there. i can’t come forat least a year or two because i have kids and do not want to leave them and as I don’t work I can’t take them with me at this point. He lives in Malton and that is where we will be I need to know about how to go about finding a job and how much money I will need to be comeing over there! This isa long time dream for me and doing this isn’t going to be easy so any advis would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone knows how i can take my kids I homeschool them and want to take them if they so wish but didn’t know if i can afford it! Thank you!

Comment by Michelle — August 19, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

77. Hello, my name is Josh and I’m planning on moving to England next year. I’ve been reading up on immigration issues and I’m a little confused on work permits. Am I supposed to have employment arranged before I obtain a work permit, or can I get a work permit before I find a job? Thoughtful answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Josh W.

Comment by Josh Winiecki — October 26, 2009 @ 7:07 am

78. I was born in England but moved to the US when i was young, I am now about to graduate in May and I want to move back, my parents want me to have everything set up before I go as I will be going back on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) i need to know EVERYTHING! costs, housing, healthcare, if i need to do anything since i have been out of England for quite some time???

Comment by Meg Leach — November 4, 2009 @ 2:44 am

79. Hey guy’s Chap’s, N Gal’s, I’m a Fiftyish year old Car nutt, who wants so badly to travel back overseas being a 70’s Army Vet, I always wanted to live in the UK, what type jobs are avalible for guys in professional trucking there like drop and hook or bump a dock no more doubles please! also, I have a US 420 SEL finally an Autobahn car but are’nt the one there in the UK less restriced and faster? lastly, can I buy a nice house or townhome there for 150,000 US and I like a good Hamburger but don’t want to live in the big city but kinda close.

Comment by Derrick Bigrick Sharpe — April 15, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

80. I will be relocating to England in 3 months. I have read most of the comments, both postive and negative. One thing is for certain, my job is in Southwark but I will not be living in London. I would rather use my money to travel. Life is about experiences good and bad. I have lived in America my whole life and I am very excited about learning more about my british brothers and sisters. I have traveled extensively to other countries. People are People all around the world 30 days anywhere and the average person will fit in. If you dont fit in or things dont work out you will do what you need to do for you and your family. If we don’t take chances we will never KNOW!!!! live, learn, LOVE…..

Comment by naki s — May 17, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

81. Hello,
    I am 33 years of age, a Certified Ontario Teacher, and hold a BSc Earth Science (3 yr) degree. I am looking to find work in England (Cornwall area) but am finding it difficult to get a sponsor. Does anyone know of another way of getting a work visa? I looked into Tier 1, but I only had 60 points. Looked like Tier 2 was my only way to go, but it’s been a trick to find a sponsor. Any help or advice on other ways of obtainig a legal work permit for the UK are greatly appreciated.
    Please send any advice to : acbaughm@gmail.com

Comment by April L. — May 25, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

82. Hi,
    I am a sophomore at a high school in Texas. And ever since I was in the 8th grade I’ve been considering going to an art school in England. I’ve got my eye on a particular one, but then again, the cost is a bit of an issue. I was wondering if you could help me out with some advice. I have friends in England who are willing to let me stay with them until I can find a job there in Poole. But sadly, with cost, I can’t get any further than the plane ticket, passport. I have no idea how much, if it cost anything, to take a train in England. I have no idea what to do with the things I will be leaving here in America. If you could help me, I will really appreciate it.

Comment by Kat — June 7, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

83. my fiancee is moving over to the u.k from canada, how long has my fiancee got to be here in the u.k. before we can get married, also how long has my fiancee got to be living in the u.k. before he can apply for a job?

Comment by moving from canada to the u.k. — June 11, 2010 @ 11:59 pm

84. I am planning to move to the UK in December, does anyone have any suggestions on the best and cheapest way I can get items sent over there, ie clothes. I have tonnes of them and need to know the cheapest and best method. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment by sylvie lasko — July 7, 2010 @ 6:08 pm

85. what a site!! turn up in the good ole UK!! and you will get this and you will get that, as a ENGLISH PENSIONER living in SPAIN (and cannot NOT afford to get back ) and i find there are people turning UP there getting more BENEFITS!! (nhs etc) anybody out there that can help a 4 generation ENGLISH person to get a few MORE handouts!!!? (379 EUROS PER MONTH!!)

Comment by Brian Thurlborn — July 29, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

86. im a British citizen living in the states. i became a cna about 6 years ago. i am planning on moving back to the UK soon. does anyone have any ideas how i become a cna in the UK?

Comment by keeley — August 9, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

87. Moving to UK because job is being relocated to London. Job site is in London. Was told London was expensive to live in. What alternative do I have, and how is the commute from outside the city?

Comment by essex luckett — August 12, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

88. England is beautiful! It’s just the English that make life difficult!

Have lots of good friends but the systems here are becoming more and more beaurocratic and less people friendly. Customer service is nil and the big conglomerates hold us to ransom time and time again.

If you’re staying temporarily - enjoy, otherwise consider your options!

Comment by alpineangel48 — September 9, 2010 @ 3:39 am

89. I have been considering relocating from the US to the UK for several months now, in reading the articles above I am wondering if I wouldnt be getting above my head. I work from home as a customer service rep through a company that also has a business offices in the UK but the jobs they offer are more limited. Is the cost of living truly that bad? how much does a regular 1 bedroom flat go for? I am not looking for a brand new place, It just needs to be livable and in a safe place. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I want to know about health care, how much is insurance? How expensive would it be to buy a decent used car? Are there places I could live where I could just bike around or even walk to stores and cafe’s? Thank you!

Comment by Lisa — October 17, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

90. Thats really not such a nice thing to say about the English.I moved here two years ago and I am really glad i did ,I work as a nurse here in Wales for the first year I lived and worked in the south of England.I still find the brits to be very friendly Yes things are not always a garden of roses but its the same everywhere.Britian still has a great Health service and its free for everyone Not like in the US where I had to pay out of my nose.So yes I am really glad I live and work in this beautiful country and have no plans to return to the US

Comment by Bryan — October 18, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

91. Frank,

This site is very informing! So glad I stumbled across it. For the past year my fiancee, my friend, and I have been seriously thinking about moving to England. What cities are great place to live that is inexpensive? Maybe for a two bedroom place? What is a good area to find jobs? Where there is more employment. I have many more questions. I hope you can respond to this post at cunningham.crystal11190@yahoo.com

Once again. Very informative site.

Thank you!

Crystal.

Comment by Crystal — October 26, 2011 @ 4:56 am

92. HI! my name is Liz I’m an american from colorado, Us and im planning to move to manchaster or london wich i love England!!!! im in love with it, the culture and omg everything!! im 18 yrs old and im studing to be a teacher im thinking to start earning money so i can move to England like in 2 years do you guys think i can get a job over there? cuz i am extremly dieing to move!!, the reason i want to move is because im tierd and sick of of the usa i want to change my life style…by the way i have a friend that lives in loughbough…how is it there? is it nice there?

Comment by liz — January 21, 2012 @ 5:52 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.