February 12, 2005

Questions About Cornwall Life

One of the things I love about writing a blog are the comments and emails I get. I’m always amazed by people who have found this blog for some unexpected reason. Not so unexpectedly I’ve received a number of emails since the US election, from people asking about moving to England. And the other day I received this email from someone thinking of moving from Ireland to Cornwall. Here is her email and my response back to her:

Hi,

Just stumbled across your website and found it really interesting re your move to Cornwall.

I used to live in the UK till I was 13 and then my parents took me to Australia to live where I lived for the last 19 years so I used to be a Brit (well, still am really!). Anyway, my husband is Irish and Feb last year we moved to Ireland to live. I like it here but prefer to live back in the UK and have many fond memories of Cornwall from my holidays there as a child. My husband is about 60% convinced by me that it would be nice to live there but we obviously need to plan/think about it some more as we are starting to get set up in Ireland.

My question to you is: I’ve heard that the Cornish community is a bit insular and that it’s hard to meet people - is this true? I know it helps if you have children and we have just had a baby so that would help but he isn’t anywhere near school age. Also, I’m curious re meeting people our own age (we are both 33 this year) as I’ve found this a bit of a problem where we live in Ireland (everybody seems to be either under 13 or over 50!) - how is Cornwall for this? Also, are there any areas in Cornwall you would recommend/not recommend to live? In Australia we lived near an artsy community that was into health shops and easy living etc.. and I’ve always thought of Cornwall as that sort of place.

Any advice you can give me would be great.

thanks

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Let’s just say it’s not like California where everyone wanted to know where you were from, what you did, and did you want to take a hike next weekend. No, it’s quite a bit more insular.

We had an unfortunate experience when we first moved down where we invited a Cornish couple over for dinner, and the response was a very clear “no thank you". But since then we have made some good friends, and we’ve made them through our son’s school. They’ve been almost exclusively transplants like ourselves who have moved down from London looking for a different lifestyle. Nathaniel’s five, and I can’t imagine how we would have met anyone if he hadn’t been at a school where we dropped him off in the classroom, and waited outside with the other parents in the afternoon. If he’d been in high school for example, it would have been much harder to meet anyone.

If we’d been near Truro or Penzance or St. Ives, we might have met people through going to the theater or music, but there isn’t much of that near us here, unless you play the violin or guitar and sit in on music nights at places like The Trewarmett Inn up near Tintagel. I got involved with the St. Minver Parish Plan planning group, but had to drop out when we moved up to Leatherhead (though now that we’re back down I will get involved again).

In terms of easy living and health food shops, you might find some of that in the larger cities – again Truro, Penzance, St. Ives. There is one health food shop in Wadebridge, and a couple of funky-ish cafes in Bodmin, but I wouldn’t characterize either of them as centers of easy living. In the villages you’re lucky to have a Spar or a CostCutter (neither of which is known for its health food selection or alternative lifestyle patrons), and maybe a local farmer who sells seasonal vegetables.

Rachel got involved with a group interested in starting a Waldorf school in Cornwall, but the parents were so spread out they couldn’t agree on where it could be built so that most of them wouldn’t have to drive 40 minutes each way (amongst other issues). And I keep threatening to play my violin more, but haven’t had the chance since we’ve been back down.

I don’t mean to turn you off of Cornwall, because it is an amazing place. But for those considering being here fulltime – who aren’t retired and looking for nothing more than peace and quiet – a lot of internal fortitude is required to wait out the gray days of winter until the flowers of spring arrive, followed by the warm winds of summer.

All the best with your decision,
– Frank

Posted by: Frank @ 12:29 pm — Filed under:

47 Comments »

1. :) So how long do you plan to stay in Cornwall? I stumbled on your site trying to see if anyone had what I want as a mission statement… I typed…making life simple, one day at a time..and wala.. here I am… you probably get a lot of that.- Maggie Fallbrook , San Diego, CA 92028

Comment by Maggie Minnamon — February 21, 2005 @ 7:39 am

2. This site is great; I have wanted to move to England since the 80’s, but I was still working. No I am retired and still want to move. I am very glad I found this site. Now the serious research begins!

Comment by Susan — April 10, 2005 @ 7:50 pm

3. Hi Frank, just read the bit about your interest in starting a wardolf school. We have a daughter who is nine and has been going to wardolf schools in different countries. We have just moved down here in Newlyn and looking for a similar school for Joy. Though I heard that there were some parents who wanted to start the school a while back…anyway, I wonder if you have any advice for somebody like me who is looking for alternative educational system here close to us for our daughter. Preferably obviously we want wardolf, failing that, is there a monterssori? Or radically we will even consider home schooling if there are other parents who have some sort of network here doing that?

I look forward to your advice and thank you for your time!

Love and Gratitude,
    Julia

Comment by Julia — February 16, 2006 @ 12:43 pm

4. Hello!
    My name is Bettina.I am currently doing an Ma in Contemporary Visual Arts at Falmouth College of Arts.
    I have been studying sculpture for three years at Emerson College which is a Steiner Education Centre in Sussex.It is a community as well hosting as well teacher training course and a three year couse in biodynamic agriculture.
    Part of my cource was being trained how sculpture and painting can be used for creativ and personal development of children.
    I am very interested in alternative education systems I would like to be an art teacher in a Steiner school.
    I am also interested in the way how learning in
    young ages can be done more creativly and based on practical expierence particulartly to do with expierence of nature.
    I have not much experience jet but I am eager to meet people who are interested in differend ways of schooling for children.My course is finishing in September and I am considering wether to stay in Cornwall to help starting up something like a community or a steiner school.
    Regards Bettina

Comment by bettina — April 18, 2006 @ 4:16 pm

5. My granddaughter, 14, and I are considering moving to Cornwall for her 1st year of high school. She has been in a small private middle school here in Durango, Colorado for the past 3 years. She is a good student with strength in drama and writing. She is fun-loving, creative, and curious and not much into the negative American teen age pursuits. Her parents think a time abroad would be great for her! Do you have any suggestions for us to research schools and Cornwall areas of interest? How would a new teenaged girl from the U. S southwest be received? Could we both make friends? I would appreciate any suggestions you could give us. Enjoyed your site and all the photos. Your rental house looks lovely. Mary Lou

Comment by Mary Lou Falkenstein — May 10, 2006 @ 6:17 pm

6. hi hello my name is rosina from Peru.
    I have heard that cornwall its a great place to life as I have finished my studies in cambridge I would love to fine a job for six months overthere as i love the beach!! check surfing in peru as well(chicama,mancora,pico alto,cerro azul,san bartolo,huanchaco,etc) you might like to go next week.

Comment by rosina Velit — July 22, 2006 @ 12:01 pm

7. hi my husband and i are wanting to live in st ives we live in wirral i am retired and my husband is wanting to work in cornwall hopefully transfere have you any tips on where is the best place to live and what the lifestyle is like thankyou

Comment by Diana — September 5, 2006 @ 10:47 am

8. I’m sorry you feel we Cornish are ‘insular’. We just enjoy our own company and don’t feel the need for lots of friends. We’re very friendly but don’t feel the need to entertain a lot. Don’t forget we are almost separated from the rest of England, we are on a peninsula and that is probably why we don’t mix readily. We can always be relied upon to help, and are a very giving community. We welcome people from all walks of life and treat everyone the same, from lords and ladies to the most humble person. Besides which, we think we live in God’s own country and wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. Unfortunately we are a poor county and salaries are very low, house prices, council tax and water rates are among the highest in the country. There is a wide variety of countryside from the hills and valley in the south to the wilder areas of the west and wonderful beaches on the north. I could go on about Cornwall for ever and ever. Hope this helps.

Comment by Patricia Liverod — October 31, 2006 @ 4:04 pm

9. I read this with dread. I am an incomer having married my wife who has lived in Cornwall since she was 6. I know nobody except my wife’s family and despite having kids we have never managed to make friends with other parents because she was not interested. Now we are having marital problems and separated in the same house, and I have got to try and find some roots and friends here and quickly, and I have to say I am finding it very very difficult. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comment by Julian — November 22, 2006 @ 2:32 pm

10. We are thinking of moving to north cornwall and the only thing stopping us at the moment is primary schools. We just can’t find any that are anywhere near the standard of our surburban primary school here in Bristol. Is the exchange of a more free lifestyle with a big garden and clean air good enough to swop for a lesser primary education? If anyone can give me advice, I would be so grateful, we can’t make up our minds, and desperately need to come to a decision one way or another soon.
    Vicki,
    Bristol

Comment by vicki — January 12, 2007 @ 4:44 pm

11. I have been reading some of your comments and although it was rather a long while ago, I am living in the hope that Frank who mentioned the idea of starting a Waldorf (Steiner) type school has really caught my eye. Iwas walking through Falmouth about a month ago and read a small poster about a group of parents that afre trying to establish that type of school here in the South West of Cornwall. Unfortunately I lost the number that I scribbled down and am anxious to know whether there is a chance that this might happen. I have lived in Cornwall all my life, apart from travelling to see the world in my late teens where I felt that Cornwall was literally the end of the earth!!I have an 18 mth old daughter myself and dread to think of bringing my child up somewhere that is not (in my mind) the ideal place to be. A Waldorf Type School would be the icing on the cake! If you have any news on this please let me know.

Gillian
    Falmouth

Comment by Gillian — March 3, 2007 @ 8:59 pm

12. Hello,

I work in the Development Department of a Television Company who is looking for develop a series about families who up sticks and move to Cornwall. I am very interested to speak to anyone who is currently contemplating such a move - whether their mind is made up or they have the date already set. I am also interested in hearing about the experiences of those who have already made that move.

This blog has been tremendously useful in providing me with lots of this information so thank you and please do contact me with any further insights.

Thanks

Lynsey
    Assistant Producer

Please contact me on lynsey.kent@walltowall.co.uk or call me on 0207 241 9226.

Comment by Lynsey Kent — May 3, 2007 @ 5:38 pm

13. Hi
    Was just wondering if anyone could offer me some much appreciated advice??? My husband and I, along with our 4yr old daughter are really wanting to relocate to Cornwall from Birmingham. We know Cornwall can be isolated in areas but we are wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, poluted air, concrete and crime! So long as it’s close to a good primary school and not too far from a hospital (you never know!) We just wanted to know where the absolute ‘no go’ areas to live are, especially with a child. Any advice much appreciated, thanks. Nicole

Comment by Nicole — August 6, 2007 @ 7:12 pm

14. Be warned.

One of the Cornish Nationalist nutters has got hold of this Blogs’s address, and is publishing it on Nationalist websites.

You can expect a damn good spamming with “Cornwall is a country,” “it’s incomers like you that are making it impossible for local kids to buy houses where they grew up", “The English second home owners are driving Cornwall into the dirt” and lots more drivel about how the Cornish are a poor downtrodden race, who need an assembly, self determination, the return of the Stannary Parliament to it’s rightful powers, and the alleged “CNLA”.

Like all nationalists groupings (read; small minded, insular, parochial neo-racists,) they always need someone to blame for their own failure in life.

You have been warned.

Comment by Gerald Thompson — September 26, 2007 @ 5:22 am

15. Hello

We are Canadian and living in Indonesia. My husband was born in Cornwall. We would like to live in Cornwall for a year and would appreciate any advice about housing such as how to find houses for rent and approximate cost . Thank you very much

Comment by Catherine Thompson — November 20, 2007 @ 3:59 am

16. any body know of any steiner education group being considered for wadebridge area in cornwall for @9 -11 year olds ,would be easy to find students, I have two ,contact r.budd@yahoo.co.uk

Comment by rachel — December 1, 2007 @ 10:33 pm

17. hello,
    I am student currently living in London and as I am reaching the end of my final year at school i have been wandering what to do next. After applying for an art foundation in London and being rejected i decided to think of what i really wanted to do. I still now have my heart set on doing an art foundation, but in Cornwall -I am willing to reapply for the foundation course next year so i go somewhere i really want to and consider places away from home. After doing some research I found that Camborne Poole Redruth College, Cornwall College, Truro College all offer foundation courses and i am very keen on applying -but this is at a risk as i will have to wait a year for this opportunity an i don’t actually know what any of these are like, whether they have a good reputation or anything!! i was just wondering whether you know anything about student and social activities for young people around these areas or at these colleges or know anyone who would be able to tell me about them. im afraid of going and just being totally left out!

your help would be very much appreciated! thank you,

Georgina

Comment by Georgina — February 18, 2008 @ 8:06 pm

18. Georgina,
    Thought I would advise Truro as it is okayish and near Falmouth which at least has a little (tiny) nightlife. Avoid Pool between Camborne (very poverty stricken and run down with violent pockets) and Redruth (seen much better days, but probably won’t again). Have you looked at Falmouth Art College? I don’t know if they offer what you want, but their reputation is okay and longfounded. Might be worth a look. Students come from all over not just locals.
    Good luck!

Comment by jane — February 27, 2008 @ 7:21 pm

19. hi georgina,
    i am kind of in the same boat as u as i am moving down to cornwall to live with my boyfriend whilst starting a first dip in business! Just wondering have you made any decisions yet? x

Comment by Kirsty — February 27, 2008 @ 10:10 pm

20. Hi we are thinking of moving from newbury to liskeard to start a buisness plumbing & Htg any advice would be great regards
    John

Comment by john — March 3, 2008 @ 4:34 pm

21. Hey, If your thinking of moving to Cornwall I can help you out with a good price moving firm down there check it out.
    www.cornwall-mini-moves.com

Comment by judith howells — April 6, 2008 @ 3:35 pm

22. Hello,

I am originally from Northern Ireland. Grew up in Massachusetts but travelled back and forth to Northern Ireland frequently. Lived there for two years but came back to Massachusetts due to the lack of work in my husbands field. We have three daughters. I worry about moving my 12 year old 3,000 miles away from family and friends. When she was younger she adapted very well while living in Northern Ireland. I feel selfish wanting to move her again. She excells academically, but I can’t help but worry about her making new friends at this age. I want my children to continue to excel in school and have the opportunities to do so. It has been over two years since abroad and I find myself thinking about moving to Cornwall - not because I know anything about Cornwall - I’m primarily attracted to the beauty of the place - but desperate to educate myself in the people, schools, etc.. My husband’s company is based out of Connecticut and Germany. My thought was that my husband could commute? I am looking to live in a community where the way of life is slower, but, not dead. I would love to live near the water again. I want to wake up everyday and say WOW!!! I love to be outdoors and walk to where I need to go. But, If my children are not happy - I won’t be able to settle there. Is Cornwall an easy place to make friends and feel a part of the community, etc. In your opinion, what town offers the “small” town feel with “big” town opportunities filled with culture and beauty??
    Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Michele Mayhew

Comment by Michele Mayhew — May 28, 2008 @ 5:30 pm

23. Hi, I’m thinking of moving to Falmouth, I’m a gardener, I earn £15 per hour here in Cambridge. Could I ask for the same rate in Cornwall do you think?
    Many thanks
    Ben Ranyard

Comment by ben — July 6, 2008 @ 11:25 am

24. I have just finished the ingo series an enchanting set of novels that take place near zennor, cornwall. After looking at pictures of it online i fell in love with the area-so quaint and untouched-just beautiful ocean and landscape… I’m particulary interested in the Cove of Veor-any information would be much appreciated.
    Also would you reccomend spending summers in the st. ives/zennor area?
    Thanks,
    Katie

Comment by Katie — August 6, 2008 @ 9:58 pm

25. Hello! is anybody out there still wanting to set up a steiner school in cornwall?? I am steiner teacher from the uk in aus but when i get back to uk i would like to move to cornwall, i think, and would like to be involved in a steiner community.

Comment by Grace — August 18, 2008 @ 3:14 am

26. Hi me and my boyfriend are from manchester and we just want to move to cornwall. we dont have alot of money. How easy is it to find a job and a cheap place to live. If you could email me back soon it would be a big help.
    Please i realy need to know thanks. Dainax

Comment by Daina — August 19, 2008 @ 1:54 pm

27. hi, I am definately going to move to cornwall as I am currently living in bradford west yorks, but finding it hard to find propertys to rent that allow pets kids or smokers! I feel it is time I took the plunge and get away from here as my husband died a year and a half ago, I am very artistic and would love to live in st ives or carbis bay, but I have to say I am worried as to weather we will be accepted down there, as my son is only three it will be a big upheavle for him and is obviously an important time for him with school, I would appreciate any advice as this decision will affect him for a long time, thanx allie x

Comment by allie — August 20, 2008 @ 10:50 pm

28. hi
    Was wondering if anyone could help
    I am currently in the last yr of
    My teaching degree and was looking at moving to cornwall ready for
    When I qualify what is the job front
    For
    Teachers like and is it a good idea I desperatly need advice please email

Comment by jenny — September 5, 2008 @ 5:32 pm

29. Hi,
    I have just moved to St Ives from Rocdhale in Manchester. I was supposed to be moving here with my boyfriend but two weeks after i started my new job here he told me he wasnt happy and we have separated. I am currently living with my mum and Dad until my house up north has been sold and i can get a place of my own. I haven’t had chance to get to know anyone here yet ut am hoping to meet new friends here. If anyone knows of anywhere where i will meet people my own age to become friends with please let me know ( I am 27years old and a nurse)
    Nicola

Comment by Nicola — October 30, 2008 @ 5:23 pm

30. hello,
    i am trying to get some information on the initiatives that have been made to start a steiner school in cornwall. i live in penryn (next to falmouth) and having been steiner educated myself, am desperate for my two girls to have the same opportunity as me. so any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks very much
    Bride

Comment by bride — November 22, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

31. Hi, I’ve just read some of your comments about Waldorf education in Cornwall. I am in the process of setting up a Steiner inspired preschool and kindergarten in South West Cornwall. Check out the website zeldaschool.co.uk. I would particularly like to hear from teachers

Comment by Zelda — December 2, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

32. I moved to Cornwall from Staffordshire in 2000 as my husband was working down south and we have always loved the place. We were accepted into the village and found the cornish people to be lovely, friendly and laid back. The place itself is beautiful. I moved back after 12 months as my father was ill and I was a little home-sick. Looking back, I feel that it was the biggest mistake of my life to leave the place behind. After 8 years back in Staffordshire I am desperate to move back down and live the rest of my days by the sea.

Comment by Angela Palmer — January 19, 2009 @ 6:51 pm

33. hi thinking of moveing to penzance Roscadghill Parc, Heamoor, Penzance, TR18 3QX just wondering what this area like thanks ang

Comment by angela — May 9, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

34. hi frank

just stumbled on this site while googling old place names, which (as it does) threw up rachel’s dad’s and then her name. i and my sis (dominie) used to know her and johnathan as kiddies way back in the 60s/70s as we had a nearby bungalow overlooking trebetherick. our parents were both vicars, which might be how they met. say hi and see if she remembers us (doubt it, it’s been that long ago). sorry to hear of their dad’s death which i read about a few years back

anyhow, as for moving to cornwall, your post was right on the button. fired by nostalgia, i spent a couple of years a decade ago living in falmouth, as this seemed the best all-round option (picturesque town, economy that didn’t solely depend on tourism and hence not seasonally-based etc etc). alas, the best-laid plans…… my initial honeymoon period soon faded. aide from the tourist influx, falmouth itself consists of three communities, incomers, inbreds and students and as far as i could tell there was no contact whatsoever between the three. in my time there i could count on the fingers of 2 hands the number of roughly sane people i met. the depth of dislike felt by the inbreds/locals towards the non-cornish was considerable, ranging from disinterest to outright hostility, this when they were not pursuing old family feuds that dated back to the Ark. and woe betide any incomer kid unlucky enough to go to school there. i would book them in for a martial arts course very pronto. the incomers that i had the misfortune to meet were even worse. this is not say that there aren’t decent people there, they are just rather hard to find. possibly the artistic community of st. ives might be an exception, if one wished to live in some kind of rarified community, which i didn’t. the areas to avoid are definitely around the massively depressed redruth/camborne area, although no area (like the world over) is free of its own idiosyncratic problems. the lovely penzance, for example, has a serious heroin problem and so on and so forth

i spent the first 6 months in falmouth loving the place and after that, i couldn’t wait to get out (me and wifey now live in the sticks in south east spain). it is probable that any insulated community will pose the same problem of integration, but anyone considering moving there should look beyond the picture postcard image of the summer months and really think long and hard about why you are moving there and where you are moving to

hope this is of help and not too dispiriting, but it was the truth as i found it. possibly things have changed in the past 10-15 years but i am not a gambling man

best

david pearson

Comment by david pearson — August 20, 2009 @ 8:09 am

35. addendum to the above: by “incomers” i was referring to the tribal, dreadlocked crusty element, not people like your fine upstanding self. can’t say i blame them for moving there, of course, if you’re going to be on the Old King Cole, i’d rather do it in cornwall than darkest birmingham

ps. another thing to take into consideration for those getting on in years: i knew several people “of a certain age” who moved there hoping the warmer climate might aid their rheumatism/arthritis. unfortunately this benefit appeared more than counter-balanced by the adverse effects of the damp sea air

pps. falmouth art college is a very nice little college indeed

;o)

Comment by david pearson — August 20, 2009 @ 11:04 am

36. I would love to live in Cornwall and just back from a holiday there again. I spent a lot of my childhood in Cornwall and have holidayed there many times. I really would love to live there, but on my latest visit noticed that places were becoming full of either the wealthy or the poor. I suppose that is the same maybe everywhere.
    I am certain that there is not much employment in many parts of Cornwall, judging by my jobseeking efforts in that area, and apart from seasonal work, there is little other types of work it seems.
    I noticed some really run down looking estates and rough areas and also as the weather was bad the whole place didn’t seem that different from where I live apart from having the sea!
    It has made me think that maybe I am just in love with the whole nostalgia/ childhood memories of happy hot summers spent there and the relaxed holiday feeling. Maybe to live there permanantly is not the same at all?

Comment by carla taylor — September 6, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

37. hi my partner and i would love to find somewhere to live and work in cornwall if you can help this is an sos

Comment by DEBRA — March 18, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

38. I moved to Brittany France and was really supprised how close the folk law between the two regions is. King Arthur and Merlyn are claimed by the Bretons as well as the Cornish but only Cornwall has Tintagel !

Comment by Chris Jewell — March 26, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

39. Hi,

We are at a crossroads in our life right now.
    Up until now all three of our children have been privately educated. We have two 10 year olds and a 5 year old.
    We now can no longer afford to pay for their education. As a consequence we have to put them in the state school system (both of our 10 year olds are very accademic). We are therefore considering moving to Newquay. We know nothing about the schools here and added to that all our children are going to loose their friends!! Would our children be ok. I’d be grateful for advice. My husband is in love with the idea of being by the sea.

Comment by Susie — April 25, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

40. I have been totally in love with Cornwall since I was a nipper. My Grandparents bought a beautiful little Post Office and stores in the village of Harrowbarrow near Callington. I stayed every summer and would cry when I had to leave. I went to live with them as a teen, by then they had retired and moved to Launceston. I also briefly lived in Bude. I only have wonderful memories of the places and people. Fate brought me back up north but now I feel desperate to move back and bring my husband and children. I feel a special connection with Cornwall and the pull never goes away. I find the place magical and the people easy going and friendly. I plan to look for a job down there after Christmas and then move. I can’t wait to educate my children in the Cornish way of life! I feel a particular pull towards the Penzance area. I do worry after reading this thread how difficult all this may be for us though as far as house availability and affordability goes. We will be renting at first. If we manage it will be a dream come true. Any tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Comment by Hilary White — December 12, 2011 @ 10:33 pm

41. I’d be very interested in helping on a voluntary basis with the Steiner Waldorf school initiative if that’s now taken off. I have a PGCE and also a FD degree in Music and Production as well as business and art qualifications, and of course, lots of experience.
    Not moved to Falmouth/Penryn yet but not worried about locals who I am sure will be friendly to incomers. We are all the same inside no matter where we were born and raised (I was raised in Yorkshire, then Kent) I’m guessing Falmouth is quite cosmopolitan due to the University of Exeter and University College Falmouth student and staff presence. I can’t wait!

Comment by drew — January 17, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

42. Hello ~ I have the opportunity of moving (through means of a social housing home swap) to Pool from a very nice flat and location in the very pleasant district of Highbury in Islington, London. I have noticed that in one of your above comments, you have suggested that Gergina (no 16 ~ 17) avoid Pool. are you simply referring to Pool College or Pool in it’s entirety I wonder? I very much look forward to hearing back from you ~ many thanks ~ Cailean

Comment by Cailean — January 24, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

43. Hello ~ Would you please be so kind as to offer some feedback on the district of Pool in Cornwall, as I am presently considering a (social housing) home-swap with someone who lives there. I have a very nice home within the very pleasant and affluent district of Highbury in Islington, North London. I really look forward to hearing back from you ~ many thanks ~ Cailean

Comment by Cailean — January 26, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

44. Hi every1, I’m considering movin to Cornwall I have a strong passion for Cornwall I know it’s deer to live down there but i think it’s defo worth it. The thing which is stopping me moving is if I don’t make any friends. Me and my boyfriend are in our mid 20s and have a special needs child. We are both friendly and would help anyone who needs help, but I heard things saying that the Cornish people don’t lyk outsiders. If this is true then I couldn’t move there and I honestly want move there and be part of a little village and in the summer help to keep the beaches clean. I would love to live in cubert I have fell in love with the little village and the school looks really good. I would like some locals to tell me if it is hard to make friends as I consider myself as bubbly and will talk to anyone. This is really important to me so if anyone could help it would mean a lot. Thanks xxx :)

Comment by Rachel — February 20, 2012 @ 10:10 am

45. hi wanting to move to cornwall but dont know what good areas to move to. does any body know what work is like down there for a plasterer. ive got 2 young children and looking for a good school thanks lee

Comment by lee greenwood — May 28, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

46. Hi Found you’re website, I was thinking about writing a story set in Cornwall, I was looking for any info on life in Cornwall can you help?

Comment by Douglas Williams — May 30, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

47. Hello, hopefully moving from Hampshire to Stithians in early August 2012. Bringing younger daughter with us to go to Penryn school in September. I am a gardener who will be looking for gardening jobs. How much do people pay per hour for gardeners ? Husband in I.T. but yet to find a job. Any helpful advice for settling in ? Change of lifestyle, but looking forward to being part of community and making friends, also enjoying countryside, walking, keeping chickens etc

Comment by Melanie Boxall — June 27, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.